Do you have a tooth that hurts or has severe decay? If so, your dentist might advise getting a root canal or a dental implant to solve the issue. There are usually two options when the nerves and pulp of a tooth become infected: tooth extraction or tooth preservation via a root canal. This difficult choice is based on several factors, including the strength of the supporting bone, gum disease, the quality of the remaining tooth structure, and whether the surrounding bone is infected.
A root canal is a treatment used to save a tooth that is already infected. A dentist or endodontist conducts a root canal procedure to treat a badly decaying tooth. After removing the pulp and nerve, the inside of the tooth is cleaned and sealed.
After conducting a root canal, a dentist will finish the procedure by fitting a filling or crown on your tooth to restore its natural appearance and function. Ask an endodontist or root canal specialist if you can save the natural tooth with a root canal if your tooth has infected or damaged. Before considering extraction, trying to save your original teeth is always preferable because implants, dentures, and bridges won't exactly appear, perform, or feel like your natural teeth.
The advantages of Root Canal follow:
1. You don’t lose your original teeth: The most significant advantage of a root canal over a dental implant is that it preserves your existing tooth, allowing you to maintain your natural grin. Of course, you might need a crown if the deterioration is severe. However, there will still be some of the original frameworks for a crown to be attached to.
2. Not time-consuming: The root canal process takes less time than dental implants. If a permanent crown is needed, you'll often attend one or two appointments and possibly wait a short while. You can profit from a temporary crown while you wait in the meantime.
3. Painless process: The root canal process is primarily painless with a short recovery time. You won't have to worry about experiencing ripping because your tooth won't be extracted. You won't need to wait for your gums to recover from an extraction.
1. Tooth may get damaged: The chance that the tooth you want to save won't survive is one drawback of a root canal. Your dentist might find that tooth decay is so bad that a root canal cannot restore your tooth.
2. Complications lead to tooth loss: Complications can develop post-procedure. For instance, if some of the infected pulp was not removed, problems like cysts could develop. This might necessitate tooth extraction.
3. Expensive without insurance: Though cheaper than implants, root canals still come at a very high cost. Your prices may become unaffordable if you require both a root canal and a crown. This is especially possible if you need adequate dental insurance.
Dental implants are a type of tooth extraction that allows you to eat normally and keep the position of other teeth. Your tooth implant dentist or endodontist will remove the infected tooth during a dental implant and use an implant to fill the gap with an artificial tooth. A titanium implant is used to restore the decayed tooth as part of the treatment process. The implant is put into the jawbone during surgery. On the first or second appointment, a crown is then put into the implant.
The advantages of Dental Implants are-
1. Aesthetics are great: While you don’t keep your natural tooth, you can still get pleasing aesthetics with a dental implant. Your dentist will carefully craft the tooth and make its color match your other teeth to blend in well.
2. Your tooth functions well: You gain access to the high functionality of your original teeth. You won't face the speech issues that sure dentures can lead to, and you can still eat the things you love with ease. Dental implants are even more convenient than natural teeth, which is an improvement.
3. Long-lasting: If longevity is important, you should know
that dental implants can last significantly longer than a root canal and crown. They have a low failure rate and, with proper maintenance, can survive for decades. Even after a root canal, your tooth could still fail or require crown replacement after five to fifteen years.
The disadvantages of Dental Implants include the following:
1. Invasive and lengthy process: Another drawback is that receiving a new teeth implant involves a much longer process. You must first get your original tooth extracted and give your gums some time to recuperate. After that, you'll need to make several additional trips to have your jawbone prepared, have the implants put in, have your false teeth installed, and have your recovery checked.
2. Longer recovery period: You will need to wait for your mouth to recover in between each round of treatment due to the invasive procedure. You'll need to change your diet to include softer foods and manage the associated pain and swelling. Additionally, you'll need to be on the lookout for potential difficulties.
3. More expensive procedure: A dental implant is more expensive than having a root canal.
Because of their effectiveness, dental implants have been regarded as one of the best latest innovations in dentistry. Aside from the fact that implants can last for many years since they are resistant to degradation, the risk of infection after implantation is only about 1%. However, there are some negatives. The operation is more intense than a root canal because it involves surgery. It may also be a little more expensive than other treatment options, but the added expense will undoubtedly be worthwhile in the long run.
How about the benefits of undergoing a root canal? The main advantage is that it keeps your original tooth, which offers advantages. Compared to dental implant surgery, it is also less invasive. Ultimately the decision to go for a root canal or dental implant should be determined by your own choice and preferences.
In India, there are many opportunities for a root canal or the best dental implant care. Hiremath clinic can be your perfect choice for having the best dental implants. Hiremath Hospital is one of the best dental implant clinics in Bangalore, with the facility of personalized patient care. Expert physician specialists provide you with exceptional healthcare experience.